Friday, February 8, 2013

Broiled Salmon with Brown Rice and Broccoli

Broiled Salmon is becoming one of my favorite quick meals. I have found that I can change out the sauce and have a completely different meal. I can also buy wild caught salmon for inexpensive ($4 for 4 filets at Aldi), frozen broccoli ($1 at Aldi) and brown Basmati rice ($3-4 for 2 lb of Lundberg at iHerb.com), $2 with the amount of rice I use for the two of us (1.5 c uncooked). Then I use a honey based sauce each time and maybe use about $1-2 worth of local honey. Bringing the total of the meal under $10. I have two sauces I've created so far that are gluten-free and I'll add more sauces to the list at the end as I create them.

Ingredients:
Cooked brown rice (as much as you need for who you are feeding, I make 3 c cooked)
Bag of frozen broccoli
Salmon filets (however many you need for the people you are feeding)
Sauce of your choice (see options below)

I allow an hour for the rice to cook if I need to cook it first. When the rice is done (I like to let it sit for at least 15 minutes after cooking), I broil the frozen salmon for about 5-10 minutes on each side, steam the broccoli (I'm lazy and do the steam in the bag even though I know it's not the healthiest way to cook it, I could try broiling it with the salmon), and make the sauce. It all comes together in about 15 minutes. Then I plate the rice with the broccoli and salmon, then drizzle with the sauce.

Honey-Soy Sauce

Honey
Liquid aminos
Vinegar (white wine, rice or apple cider)
Sesame seeds and green onions for garnish

I do about 3 parts honey to 1 part liquid aminos and .5 part vinegar. I eyeball it and mix it until I happy with the taste. I usually start with 1/4 c of honey and go from there.

Honey Mustard Sauce

Honey
Yellow Mustard
Dijon Mustard
Coarse Ground Mustard

I start with about 1/4 c of honey, then add a tablespoon of each mustard and add whatever I think is needed until I'm happy with the taste.

No comments: