Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chilaquiles

One of my favorite quick and easy dishes to make when I'm home alone and Tony is off working is Chilaquiles. It's a traditional Mexican dish, usually served for breakfast or a snack. The first time I had it was for breakfast at my friend Maria's family ranch when they were staying there over the summer (it's right down the road from us). She used a red salsa and served it with chicken, scrambled eggs and sour cream. It was one of the most delicious meals I've ever had. I came home and scoured the internet for recipes, and here's my version:

Ingredients:
Red or Green Salsa (smooth not chunky)
Corn Tortilla Chips (heavy, not thin)

Optional garnishes:
Sour Cream (thin with a little milk to drizzle on top)
Shredded Cheese
Refried Beans
Scrambled Eggs

Pour a thin layer of salsa in a skillet and heat through. Add a layer of crushed chips and toss to coat. That's it! Put into a bowl or on a plate and top with garnishes. It takes about two minutes to make and is sooo... good. It takes nachos to a whole new level.

No comments: