Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Recycling and Reducing Waste

My husband and I live way out in the middle of nowhere. There is no local recycling programs and trash service runs about $100/mo for weekly pick up if you are lucky. When trash service got up to around $75/mo we cancelled our service and started hauling it to any dumpster we could find. We shared one with a neighbor until they moved, and since then we have taken it to my mother's apartment complex in Fort Worth when we make a trip down there or my husband has taken it to work and used their dumpster.

Part of me does feel bad for using other dumpsters, and since we have started making a trip to Denton at least once a month on average, I decided to start sorting our trash to make the impact of what we actually put in dumpsters minimal.

For a couple of years now I have had a compost pile for kitchen waste that isn't fed to the dogs. I have bags and boxes of paper that we burn every few months. I started keeping out glass bottles and taking them with me to the recycling center at The Cupboard food store, and now I have extended it to aluminum and plastic.

I've noticed that the amount of trash I take out has gone from a bag daily to one to two bags a week. I never realized how doing what seems so simple now would make such an impact in volume.

No comments: